From:
Anne Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 17:53:29 -0400
Dr Williams you were right ;)
        I will resume the report:
Diagnosis:
1) Adrenal cortical nodular hyperplasia
2) Multifocal granulomatous mesenteric and omental steatitis, likely vit
E deficiency (!!!)
3) Pancreatic nodular Hyperplasia, benign.
        The vet didn't take a liver biopsie (when he called me, I asked
him to stay conservative as it seems very bad and he told me that the
mass in the liver was completly under and almost inacessible).  The small
pancreatic masses were not send to analyses (technician's error, we
misunderstood each other...)
        So now we think that the mass in liver in probably also a
steatitis. (I know, too bad that we don't have a biopsie...)
        But we are very surprise and confuse about the results.  The vet
told me that he only saw this before with crocodiles!!!

For the vets and particulary for Dr Williams, that's the exact report for
the section of the pancreas with the big nodule (1cm):
"Several nodules of omental or nesenteric fat are present on the slide.
Two of these fat nodules are unremarkable.  A third has undergone
coagulation necroses and contains no viable nuclei.  It is surronded by
small numbers of macrophages, multinuclested giant cells and a few
neutrophils.  The other omental nodules exhibit a chronic granulomatous
inflammatory process. Here, there are multifocal nodular to coalescieng
areas of granulomaouts inflammation characterixed by an infiltrate ar
epithelioid macrophges, giant cells and small numbers of neutrophils.
Much of the affected fat is of the brown fat type.  No infectiuous agents
are presents......The multiple inflammatory noduels within the abdominal
fat are the lesions that we see in animals with vit E deficiency
associated with dietery inadequacies.  This is usually associated with
diets high in thiaminases."
        Victor lives with us since 2 years (he's around 5-6 years old)
and since then we gave him science diet and the ferret food from Hagen
and for the last year Natural Life who is a high protein food (min 30%,
with vit E, brewer yeast, etc...etc...) It's very similar to science diet
c/d that the vet gave me.  He think that maybe the food do not contain
"anti-oxydants" and maybe the vit. are not presserved.  Any idea?
        By now Victor is in great shape :) He takes 1.5 mg of
prednisolone since friday and had only a small hypoglycemia crisis on
monday night.  He danced for me monday morning ;) and play with Hugo and
Adele.  I wake up him at each 4 hours during the day to stimulate him to
eat!  And he gain .3 lb since the surgery!!!

Anne Charbonneau        Faculte de medecine dentaire    Universite de Montreal
[log in to unmask]            Tel: (514) 343-5924
[log in to unmask]               Fax: (514) 343-2233