From:
Robin Liptak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:28:27 -0700
Hello all

I thought I'd post my luck with handling boundary probes.  These guys
remind me of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park- systematically testing
their boundaries.  What works with my two is: if there's no gap,
there's no digging.  (out of sight, out of mind?)

Ex: When I had roommates, I had to keep my ferrets in my bedroom, and
they were always digging at the carpet near the door.  I changed
strategy by using a board as a gate.  With no gap between carpet and
bottom of board, they stopped trying to dig to china (doh!).

Ex: I have a cabinet door in my kitchen that wasn't closing all the way,
and so Timmy was always pulling the door open and crawling inside
(this is where the garbage is btw).  I bought a 49-cent latch at the
hardware store and he hasn't gone in there since.  Even though the
cheapo latch isn't strong enough to keep him out, the fact that the
door closes now has stopped his garbage raids.

Re: food bowls and bedding in strategic locations can prevent pooping?
Mine just back right up onto the food dish and let loose! :o I use
newspaper- easy to clean up- just put down next day's sports section.

You just gotta keep trying stuff until you find something that works
for you,

-Robin
(Judy and Timmy would say "hi" but they're busy getting into trouble.)