Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 21:51:54 CST
Hello Kevin and Casper,

I just read your story on Casper's behavior (biting, perhaps "abused"
behavior) and thought I would share Pooter's story.  As I mentioned before,
Pooter was a rescued ferret from Michigan when Ferrets were illegal there and
that he was running loose and brought to GCFA wher he found me :-)  Pooter's
age and past history were unknown, but it was estimated that he around 3-3
1/2 years of age.  When we met, Pooter had just recently been brought to the
shelter and shortly after nuetered, and therefore was a rather big and
stoutly built little critter (about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds) [I call him my
Highlander Ferret, all he needs is a sword and a kilt].

Anyway, when we first brought him home in the first few months, Lance and I
had cause to think that he might have been mistreated at one time because of
his behavior--behavior very similar to what you described.  Pooter, in the
first few days, seemed to "attack" and bite at any given opportunity--to the
point where I thought I might have to take him back because he greatly
disliked me.  We are talking that he would come out of nowhere, run up and
severly bite my foot and run away.  If you tried to go after him to "have a
discussion" about his behavior he would become VERY defensive and make attack
moves toward you until in many cases we had to leave him be until he went
back into his cage of his own accord.  Further, the first time we "tried" to
lip his nails, Lance was holding him (by the scruff) up against his body
while I clipped, and Pooter turned around and latched his teeth right into
Lance's check and left quite a piece of art work behind.  Pooter's first bath
was also quite traumatic, leaving scratch marks up and down both of our arms.
 He also displayed similar behavior as Casper when we open up his cage to let
him out.  He was very wary around us and avoided contact as much as possible.

Now, I was more concerned as I was a new Owner, but Lance had owned Ferrets
before and even he was quite unsettled at times.  Needless to say, we stuck
it out and conferred with the Ferret experts in our area (who told us to play
with him  A LOT, to which I geared up in long thick pants, long sleeved
shirt, shoes, and gloves and got down to serious play) and now Pooter, while
perhaps not "normal" is the most treasured member of our little family.  Yes,
he still bites every now and then, but usually only when he is really exctied
and then you can tell when he is in "bite mode" and be prepared.  He is also
more casual about baths and nail trimmings.  He also actually likes us,
something we thought may never happen, and seems very happy when we come
home, and looks very sad when we leave for work.

We have also trained hime (or he would say he has trained us) to do certain
tricks, and to not bother us at night while we are asleep when we let him
sleep under the bed (his favorite spot) and to wake with the alarm clock in
the morning so that we can put him in his cage.

I guess the point is that Casper may or maynot have been mistreated, or he
may have simply been slightly neglected by his previous owners to the point
where he was not accustomed to being around us humans.  In either case, let
me assure you that, in time, with lots of love and care and attention, Casper
will stop acting hestitant around you, and will not bite (at least not as
hard)and will show you all of the love that you show him.

The happy ending in our story is that Pooter loves to eat dinner with us, or
shall we say eat our dinner, especially Chinese, no matter how we try to
disuade him, and likes to cuddle when he is sleepy, and likes to play without
being defensive and overly aggressive.  Be patient and you too shall discover
the best friend a human can have :-)

Sorry for the long message, but if it helps you, well then, there you have
it.  Besides, what can I say, I am very proud to have been adopted by my
ferret.

Dawn and Lance