Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 1995 10:38:22 -0400
Below is my response to FA member's public plea for funds on the AOL
board....I have permission to post this... just in case anyone wondered.

FA is in need of donations, in order to keep operating.  If you have a problem
 justifying a donation, think of it as the money you save each year by not
paying for a license.  Where I live it costs 25 dollars for unneutered dogs,
and 11 dollars for neutered dogs.  I'm sure we would all be willing to pay a
license fee if we could keep our pets safely.  So why not send the fees you
save to FA or CDFA so we can all enjoy our children safely in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to read this posting.  If you are interested in
joining FA or CDFA, then Email them at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask],
respectively.

I don't think people realize how much this legalization costs....not to
mention the rescues.  We (both FA and CDFA) are donation supported
organizations only....we do not get Gov't funds (like Fish and Game or the
Dept. of Health do through your taxes)...we rarely get corporations donations
so it's us little people that foot the bill....pay for our own time on the
boards on a monthly basis (and it adds up), phone calls all over the US,
mailings in addition to the two newletters sent out to thousands of people
across the US.....Yes....we use bulk mail....but at $.19 X 3500
newsletters....do the math, it's mind-boggling.... We pay for alot of the
transporting costs of confiscated ferrets...to remove them from this state to
a legal state.... usally by auto...when F&G permit....but they have developed
a habit of insisting on flying them out....that really sends the bill up big
time.  If a confiscated animal is not claimed by it's owner...then we have no
medical history...therefore the animal is seen by a vet before leaving the
state...gets it's shots, gets spayed or neutered if it not already...etc.
 Vets can donate their time but they too must be compensated for their
equipment and supplies used....This is a broad overview of where some of the
money goes.....  On the legalization front.... we pay for lobbyists...they
are very important if we hope to succeed...they know the ins and outs of the
senate and assembly..., we supply each senator and assemblyperson with
documention and facts about ferrets... copying and mailing or delivering gets
into the budget too... I know I'm going on and on....but I just wanted people
to know where the money goes and where it comes from.
CDFA1
PS.  Ten days and SB55 goes into it's first committee hearing.  Please, if
 you have not written your senator yet, do so....There is still time.

CDFA1