From:
Yuki Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:07:37 -0600
Bill, (if this article has any useful points, please post to FML.  Please
feel free to edit or cut to make smaller)

[Moderator's note: There are some good ideas here that haven't been mentioned
publically yet, so I may as well post your note.  BIG]

I have to admit that recent FML's are getting lengthy.  I missed about a week
in January due to my work and I am still catching up.  It is embarrassing that
I missed chances to express condolences to other FMLers (esp. the ones who
gave you precious advice) because it is way too late to do so when you read.

However, I think FML is doing just fine.  It is lengthy, but the content
is very dense owing to the wonderful moderators, Chris Lewis and you.
Unlike other mailing lists, the FML has hardly any repetitive questions,
subscription request postings, or long quotations of previous posts
answered by "me, too" or "I missed it; please post" lines.  Moreover, a
daily digest style decreases spontaneous responses that water down the
quality or cause flame wars.

It is more of my problem that I cannot finish reading everything.  As
somebody said, I care about ferrets so much that I do not want to miss
anything.  I subscribe to 3 mailing list besides FML (stupid me) and I don't
have any problem in being choosy with these lists.  I can skim subject lines,
read some articles, delete the rest.  On the other hand, I cannot be
selective about the FML: I want to learn more about ferret legal issues as a
ferret owner even though I am not politically active at all; I greatly value
medical advice that the doctors and vet students give us; I even have fun
reading the questions asked in the past, the surrounding episodes are fun to
read.  As long as a subject line is clearly stated, I can teach myself to be
more choosy.

Following are my comments on your ideas:

- How about sending Pam Greene's mini FAQ's along with a "welcome" message
to new subscribers.  I haven't seen this mini FAQ yet, but she did such a
wonderful job with the Ferret and Medical FAQs, the mini FAQ would be a
good introduction.  As Pam put it, the size of the Ferret FAQ may be
intimidating to some, but a mini FAQ combined with a detailed instructions
on how to get other FAQs may help streamline the List.
[Moderator's note: Will have to check them out - sounds like a good idea.
Though they already get the FML FAQ automatically which discusses some of
that. ]

- I am not sure about a size limit for posts.  Some flame wars start when
language is not precise; I am afraid size limit may lead to unnecessary
argument because points are not expressed in an articulate manner.
(That's why I post pointless cute stories only.)

- More effective use of index?  Correct me if I'm wrong; I requested index
in the past and I receive the log of FML back issues.  I wonder if there is
any way to receive the top portion of an FML (starting from "There are 24
messages totaling 875 lines in this issue" to the issue number and issue
date) when a request is made.  This way, a reader can decide if there
articles of interest by examining subject lines.  If there are, then the
reader can order the back issue.

- I am not sure if this is ever possible:  indexing articles by a cue word.
Pam Greene has been doing a magnificent job by compiling FAQs.  However,
when some items are not covered in the FAQ, I have to flip through back
issues.  For example, a couch problem is recently up again.  I know there
were wonderful suggestions, such as switching to a futon or staple chicken
wire to the couch, etc., in the back issues of, um, about 850-900.  It
would be wonderful to see, say, "couch problem - 887, 888, 890, 891...".
Just an idea; but who is willing to read every single article again to
categorize each?  It is almost impossible, so much time and energy would
be required.

- Encourage the use of finger-.sig file in case of long signatures

As I said, the FML is doing just fine; and you are doing magnificent work!!
I hope we can come up with some ideas sothat all of us can have a great
time ferreting together.

Mike and Yuki Busch, Ft. Collins, Colorado
and 5 wonderful ferrets (Swamp, Nuke Skyjarker, Mythril, Sneaker, and Socks)