From:
kristen herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:34:11 EST
Hello all!
        Thought I'd crack open my human genetics textbook and see if I
could find something on the fair fur and deafness.  Apparently there
is a gene some mammals that causes deafness and the appearence of some
physical characteristics - light eye-color (blue) and a white or fair
forelock.  The book includes three pictures - a dark grey mouse with a
white blaze and blue eyes, a calico kitten with a white "mowhawk" and
blue eyes, and a young woman with a patch of white in her bangs and
blue eyes.  Kinda neat to look at...  I guess the gene hasn't been
fully identified yet, but the physical and genetic characteristics are
somewhat linked...
        The pictures are in Ricki Lewis' _Human Genetics:  Concepts
and Applications_.printed by Wm. C. Brown Publishers, 1994.  Never
know when you could use this interesting tidbit on your next
appearence on Jeopardy or something... :)
        -Kristen and the kids - Roo, Nesta, and the two new comers,
Cassidy and Monkey ("Is there a voting age requirement for the ferret
union?")

Kristen Herzog
These are my opinions. Promise.