From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 19:18:28 -0500
To the FML and so many people (Alan Braunstein, Laura McDonald, Mike Smith,
Linda Doran, Stacy Thomas, [log in to unmask], Marilyn Sev, Suki Crandall,
and many others):

I just wanted to thank everyone for the outpouring of sympathy and
condolences that I received over the last week following the passing of my
father.  My father encouraged me stongly to go into veterinary medicine (but
perhaps it was the 14 cats and 4 dogs that we had growing up that forced his
hand....)

They say that deaths come in threes.  Yesterday, upon returning from Dad's
services in New York, she found that the cat had died following a teeth
cleaning while it was boarding at the vets.  My "trifecta" is now complete,
so I should be okay for awhile.  The cat was mine for eight years and
traveled around the world with me in the army.  Of all of the other animals
she was forced to share a living space with (deer, hutia (large beaver-like
rodents), birds, snakes, etc.  I'd have to say she particularly disliked the
ferrets and spent several years up on the furniture trying to swat them.)
She, also will be missed.

I want to thank Dr.  Cahrlie Weiss for doing an outstanding job answering
mail during my absence.  The more I get to know Charlie, the more I respect
him, and just because I'm back online, I hope he doesn't disappear unitl the
next time I need him....Bravo, Charlie.

Just a few things I saw perusing the back issues that I want to comment on -
I think Charlie did such a great job - along with Pam, and Pam, and Michelle,
and everyone else that doles out such great information now....and then I
won't comment on the back issues...

 To the perosn with the ferret and the broken leg....

Go with the pin.  Casting ferret legs cause more problems that they fix.
Ferrets can wriggle out of casts or get the cast to migrate so that it adds
extra weight to the broken leg and does even more damage.  I would rather
just lick the ferret up in a small cage for a month to enforce bed rest
rather than put a cast on.  The pin, which goes down through the bone will
lend much more stability.

I am hoping that you are reading this in retrospect, because that leg should
have been fixed already.

 To Dr. Mike Phelps:

Welcome aboard!!!  We need more vets who are willing to post on the board.
Please don't sit back and wait for Charlie or me to weigh in with our
ponderous opinions.  The FML thrives not only on expediency of advice, but
also has the maturity to understand that not all vets have the same opinions
on treatment.  Differences of opinion are good things because it brings out
ALL facets of veterinary medicine.

You will find the FML a very pleasant experience.  The people who make it up
are the cream of the crop - intelligent, friendly, and above all, a
community.  I encourage you to be an active, contributing member.  You will
find, as I have, that you get as much out of it as you are willing to put
into it.

It's good to be back.  My desk runneth over - over 50 cases - ferrets, seals
(another passion), birds, dogs, you name it.  The GD research is picking
up.....absolutely fascinating.

More later.

Bruce Williams, DVM  [log in to unmask]  OR  [log in to unmask]