From:
Margaret Pinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 21:37:14 -0500
        Hello all!
        I've been "lurking" for a while now (many, many issues of FML) so I
guess I should start with an introduction.  I got interested in ferrets a
while ago, but it was this October that I really got interested.  I wanted one
for my birthday, but my parents weren't 100% sure about such a "different" pet
(I don't really blame them:  I barely even knew anything about them).  So I
dug up all the information I could on ferrets and pretty much conviced them.
The final straw was a trip to the pet store (I know, I know, but I didn't know
there was a breeder until much later).  The ferrets were all about 7 weeks old
and extremely cute.  My mom held one and by the end, we had reserved one (there
was a one day waiting period to make sure they were old enough).
        Cedar is now a major part of my life.  She wakes me up in the morning
(due to my mom bringing her into my room) and usually is out for at least a
couple hours during the evening.  She's well litter trained, slowly being
biting trained (she still loves to bite my dad's hands though.  He has to wash
his hands often, so they smell a little of soap and are dry. Any ideas?).
        Harness training is my current concern.  She seems to tolerate a
harness by itself well, but not a leash.  She slips right out whenever there
is a tension on the leash.  I think the harness is a Marshall Farms harness
(its from Ferret Outfitters).  I thought the harness was pretty tight (any
tighter and Cedar starts to act scared) but I don't want her to get loose
when I take her for a walk.
        Does anyone have any ideas about how tight a harness should be, or any
tips on harness/leash training a ferret?
        Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Malin Pinsky