From:
"Charles S. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 10:36:46 -0400
Been spying for a couple of days, and this is my first post to the FML.

Andi and Todd,

Your post about the biting ferret at the pet store perked my ears. My wife,
Charlotte, and I had almost exactly the same experience.

We frequent a very good, caring and ferret-friendly pet shop in the Chicago
area. We went in one day just to pick up some supplies. The owner knows us,
and knows that we have experience with ferrets, and told us she had a
special project child she would like us to look at.

It was a 3 or 4 month female albino (from Path Valley we suspect) that
another pet shop had sent to her (the shop owner) with the message "help."

This babe had been mistreated -- subjected to irrational yet creative and
ultimately cruel punishment at the other pet shop, and had almost never
been handled. The result of which was that she would lock onto anything
that came near her. Well, she had the sharpest damn teeth and the most
tenacious damn grip of any ferret I have ever seen. Scruffing and/or
tweaking her only made her dig in harder. She drew blood on the staff and
on me in the shop. The owner knew she could not let this ferret got to just
anyone, and said that she would let us have her for whatever we thought was
fair.

We were not looking for another ferret at that time. We had three, and
thought our hands were pretty full already. But there was this poor little
girl, who had never known love and a happy home, and we had the feeling
that if we didn't take her, that eventually her situation would turn ugly.
We offered $40.00, they said fine, and off we went for home.

I made up my mind that I was going to win her over with love, and believed
the other three ferrets would help whip her into shape too. I handled her
whenever possible, speaking softly to her, letting her know she was safe
and that I wasn't going to leave her. Yes, she drew blood for a couple
days. I would tweak her nose and firmly say "NO" when she bit, but then
continue to hold her. After three days, the only time she would bite was
when I put her down. I had felt earlier, but felt more strongly now, that
when she locked on, it was not with the intent to hurt, but just to say
"please don't let me go."

After a week, we completely trusted her with us. Now, almost a year later,
she is the cuddliest ferret in the known universe, and wants nothing more
than to be held and snuggled. She has her quirks -- she is high strung,
panics and flees much more readily than the others, hisses at them when
playing, and lord help your finger if it gets in the way when you give her
a treat. But she has such a great spirit. None of the other ferrets -- not
even our oldest male, Nuvak "The Enforcer," was ever able to establish
dominance with her in the customary "drag you around by the back of the
neck" way. Uinta (that's her) just refused to be dominated.

It has, all in all, been a great experience. We feel like we saved her
life, and gave her a loving and happy home. In turn she has given us
constant laughter (her nickname is "The Spaz"), and oodles and gobs of her
own special brand of love.

So, I would encourage you to try. Whatever happens, it's obvious that you,
more so than that shop owner, have the ferret's best interests at heart.
But by the same token, they should be willing to be flexible on price with
you. perhaps they just need to be "sold" on the idea.

Here's hoping you can work it out. Good luck,

Chuck

Charles S. McCarthy                   "Vox clamantis in deserto" - E. Abbey
Northwestern University
Office of Summer Session and Special Programs
2115 North Campus Drive, Suite 162
Evanston, IL  60208-2660
ph (708)491-7404
fax (708)491-3660