From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 11:28:00 -0700
        HANDEDNESS: I'm still trying to run the experiment on my ferrets.
They know if they sit up for long enough, I will cave in without them
having to "beg" for food. Interesting experiment though!
        FLYING: Like Robert Fien, I will also be flying this summer and
would like to take Magellan with me since he requires a special diet.
American Airlines told me that ferrets are not allowed period. No appeals
are granted.  When I inquired why that was the policy, the agent spent
about 10 minutes trying to get a rational answer. Three of the 4
supervisors would not comment - the fourth said it was because ferrets are
rodents and rodents are not allowed on planes! I laughed and then almost
cried because people are so ignorant about ferrets. What airlines accepts
ferrets in the passenger section?
        "WILD" FERRETS: Over the period of 1 year, our shelter (the Oregon
Ferret Association) answered about 75 calls to pick up ferrets that had
been running loose.  One was from a lady who found a "baby" ferret under
her bed (it was a stoat), one was from downtown Portland where a "ferret"
had been caught in a box (it too was a stoat) and one was a Cascade
variety of mink (gorgeous silver). I went on another rescue where a
"ferret" was confused trying to escape from an office complex. It was a
beautiful brown mink (aptly described previously as the color of a
chocolate lab.) Mink have a white crescent under the chin (but please
don't stick your hand next to its face to see the crescent!) Each one of
these people were convinced that they had rescued a ferret. I echo Troy
Lynn's and Bills' statements.  I don't believe for one minute that
domestic ferrets can thrive and reproduce in the wild.
        KITS: I've noticed several postings lately of people who have
purchased kits that are 5 - 5 1/2 weeks old.  Are these Marshall Farms
ferrets or private breeders?  I wish every state had a law like the one
just passed in Michigan where kits must be over 10 weeks old to be sold or
even offered for sale. Kits under 6 weeks must be accompanied by their
natural mother while in the state.  (Section 5, parts 1 and 2 of House
bill 4495). That is responsible behavior!

        -Carla