From:
braunap1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 06:51:31 EST
     RE: Cage clips

        I'm not really sure how the clips, you spoke of, are intended to
     work, but I had a problem with my guys moving the litter pan around
     too much.  I drilled a hole in the corner of the litter pan and put
     one end of an "S" hook through the hole and crimped that end closed.
     I then hook the open end over one of the wires in the corner of the
     cage so the pan cannot be moved.  My guys would move the pan and let
     loose in the corner it used to occupy.

     RE: Educating the Authorities

        WAY TO GO, MIKE!!!!!!!!!  Maybe some of the open-mindedness of the
     folks you've dealt with will someday rub off onto authorities in other
     areas of the world.

     RE: Statistics of Past Tests vs. Shedding Study (Issue 1147)

        I agree with you that statistics of previous results from rabies
     testing in ferrets around the country may open a few eyes/ears/minds
     regarding rabies in ferrets.  However, I must say that I think folks
     should try and help fund the shedding study.

        After speaking with officials in my state (Maryland), the shedding
     study will hold more water, if any, in comparison to "playing the
     odds", which is what they'd be doing if they base their decision
     solely on previous testing results.  I think the key to a "correct"
     resolution may result from a combination of an "official" scientific
     shedding study backed up with the prior history data.

     RE: CatWorks Litter

        I, too, have begun to use CatWorks as of about a month ago.  Since
     this litter is much more natural and pleasant smelling than clay
     litter, my guys played in it far too long before they finally realized
     it was where they were to go potty.

        Just a tip; You might consider placing some ferret feces in the new
     litter so they know the intent of the new material.  Otherwise, your
     ferrets may choose your carpet over the CatWorks, initially.

     ---

     Al Braunstein                         The Johns Hopkins University/
     (410) 792-6000                        Applied Physics Laboratory
     (301) 953-6000                        Johns Hopkins Road
     extension: 3981                       Mail Stop 13-s313
     email: [log in to unmask]     Laurel, Maryland 20723-6099

     The above comments are mine and mine alone and may not necessarily
     (but probably do) represent the opinion(s) of any other group or
     individual.