From:
Michelle Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:47:17 -0700
Kirk and I just got a sample of the Totally Ferret ferret food yesterday.
We gave our three about half of it on a small plate near their food and
water and so far, the reaction is favorable.  We're thinking about getting
some on a more permanent basis for our fuzzies.  Not right away, though,
since we just bought them sixteen pounds of food. :)

Currently we feed a half and half mix of Iams kitten and Iams Lamb and
Rice cat.  (I'm not completely convinced that ethoxiquin is a problem, but
I mix foods to cut down on the amount of it, just in case -- better safe
than sorry.)  They were on Iams kitten with ProPlan Turkey and Barley, but
those big pieces in the ProPlan were harder for them to chew up and they
made a huge mess, ie. the Cookie Monster effect -- as we call it.  The Iams
Lamb and Rice is also ethoxiquin free and the pieces are much smaller and
easier for them to handle.  They seem to like the taste better as well.  I
also mix in a teaspoon of Vionate vitamin and mineral powder with just
enough Ferretone to make the powder stick to the food.  It works pretty well.

I know TF and everyone here say you don't have to mix foods if you feed
Totally Ferret, but Kirk and I have decided that if we do start feeding
it, we will mix in the Iams Lamb and Rice.  Because there is no
distributer here in Colorado for the stuff, I'm not sure my pet store
will order it, and knowing our schedule we might have a few days without
some if we order it ourselves, we want to keep them on a food that is
readily available that they like.  I haven't decided yet if I will still
mix in the vitamins and Ferretone -- I'll probalby just mix in into the
Iams and leave the Totally Ferret alone.  (I'd have the Vionate powder
anyway, because I use it for my gerbils too -- although the gerbils get
the protein fortified Linatone to make their's stick.  We'll use it
for any mammals and birds we'll eventually have, it's great stuff. :))

Michelle

--
Meet my pets.  The ferrets (Taz, Coffee, and Daphne), the gerbils (lots),
the zebra mouse (Racer), the rats (Timmy and Sue), and the fish (various).