From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 00:50:46 -0500
To Jeffrey Haremski concerning a swollen vulva in a ferret who has already
had one adrenal removed:

Jeffrey, Unfortunately, some adrenal problems can be bilateral.  About 8% of
tumors are bilateral, and up to 30% of hyperpalstic lesions are bilateral.
Usually when we remove one adrenal, even if the problem is bilateral, we
decrease the levels of estrogen to a non-detectable level, and the animal
grows it's hair back, it's vulva shrinks, etc.  There's no doubt that the
other adrenal continues to hypersecrete, but it's not enough to cause clinical
changes.  But in a low number of cases, even that it not enough because both
glands are going full steam.  Removing one may even cause the other to
increase production of estrogen.

In answer to your question - Yes, ferrets need adrenal glands to live.
Adrenal gland produce a number of hormones whgich are required for life,
especially adrenaline.  We need adrenaline on a daily basis to regulate a
number of organ systems in the body.  there are other important homones
manufactured there which control levels of electrolytes, regulate glucose,
etc.  Probably the least important hormone, estrogen, is the one that causes
all the problems.

I have seen quite a few animals, however, that have had TWO adrenalectomies.
Ferrets appear to be able to get by on about 50% of one adrenal, if the
surgery is performed correctly, and the blood supply is maintained to the
remaining adrenal.

To John Rosloot concerning cataracts:

John, there is nothing that you can do to prevent the continued development of
cataracts.  Once they start to develop, they generally continue, even in
humans, with one exception - diabetes.  I would suggest a blood test for
glucose just to rule this out.  Diabetic animals and humans develop cataracts
if the blood sugar gets too high for too long a time.  The elvated sugar gets
into the lens of the eye, causing a change in the osmotic pressure in the eye.
The lens then imbibes water, worsening the cataracts.

I have a blind ferret, but it's most likely due to retinal atrophy.  Most
people never know she's blind, unless she walks into their legs or rarely the
wall.  I usually just say she's drunk....  :)

Bruce Williams  [log in to unmask]