Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 09:59:00 -0700
From:
"Cynthia J. Mosch" <[log in to unmask]>
I believe that ferrets provoke less allergic response in sensitive individuals
than other mammals.  I have severe bronchial asthma & all sorts of
allergies, including allergies to the danders of dogs, cats, horses,
rabbits, etc. & never imagined that I'd ever be ably to cuddle a fuzzie
critter.  Then I met a sweet little blind cinnamon ferret that had been
adopted by my aunt. I was thrilled to discover that I could actually play &
cuddle with Pogo without breaking out into hives & I could still breathe!

I did come down with a case of 'fuzz fever', however, (not an allergic
response-more of an addiction!) and began the quest for my own fuzzie!
I'm not sure why I'm not allergic to ferrets, but I'm delighted this is
the case.  I do have to try to keep my gal, Halley, from getting dust
covered, though, as I am allergic to dust, too.  And that is challenging
considering the places she likes to explore!

Occasionally, we have to find a ferret-sitter for trips where we can't
take ferrets along & it is important to be sure your sitter understands
a ferret's needs: fresh water, food & what NOT to feed them, regular
playtime & attention, etc. The caretaker should also be cautioned about
hazards which might endanger the ferret such as chewing on certain things
(like rubberbands), hiding in recliners or under throw rugs- any place
they might be unseen & accidently be squished :( , etc.  They should also
have emergency info. (veternarian, how to contact you).  Other FML folk
ought to be able to detail other important considerations, too.

For the most part, Halley usually travels with us.  Ferrets are really
good travelers and love hiking & camping!  Be sure they are vaccinated &
if you are out in mosquito land to administer heartworm medication.
Ferrets are not difficult to leash train & can be easily carried when
they tucker out during a hike.  Halley would usually hike for a couple of
miles then ride and watch scenery (or snooze) in the ferret hammock
created by tying the lower ends of my button-down-the-front shirt
together. And then she'd run along the trail again.  It was not unusual
for her to hike 5-8 miles or so.  But it is important to offer water
frequently and feed during rest stops & to also allow them some detour
opportunitie! :)

Hope this helps out!  Best, Cyndi, Mike, & Halley