From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 18:00:26 -0500
Daphne,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to your question on bathing ferrets,
but just in case . . . .

You're bathing them far too often.  This leads to dry skin which causes them
to scratch.  Unless ours gets in the fireplace ashes or powdered sugar or
potted plant, we bathe about 3-4 times a year and are thinking of cutting
that to twice a year.  They just don't need it more often than that.

Biting - we use the scruff and shake method.  Nose thumping works on some but
often it just leads to problems.  Right after the bite (immediately) grab
the ferret behind the neck and scruff the loose skin.  Hold it up by the
scruff almost right up to your face (but not close enough for it to grab) and
shake it back and forth (don't overdo it) and *yell*  "NO!!!"  and whatever
else comes to mind but mostly NO.  We've found that this works quite well
 and in a fairly short period of time.  Another approach is to use Bitter
Apple on a volunteer's hands (better be a good friend that doesn't mind too
much getting nipped) and offer the hand to the ferret.  Most hate the taste
and quickly get the idea that humans don't taste good.

Dick Bossart