From:
Robert Fein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:14:41 -0700
To Deborah Micklea: Re: sneezing, wheezing, and coughing fuzzies.

Yes, ferrets get human colds.  One of mine does the exact same thing and I,
too, have been trying to decide if he is sick and needs to go to the vet.
Bandit, has clear eyes, a standard cold/wet nose, no discharge from his nose
or eyes.  Suggestions folks?

Question for the list re: biting ferrets.
   I have two ferrets I bought at 6 and 8 months (about 5 months ago) from
the same owner.  One of them is incredibly mellow and bite trained.  When he
gives me ferret kisses occasionally his teeth scratch at me, but a warning
"no.." gets him to back off immediately.  He especially like to lick me after
I've just worked out.  The salt fiend! :-).
   HOWEVER! my other ferret has a BIG biting problem.  I cannot wear a short
sleave shirt around him.  He will come by on the couch or the floor and sniff
my hand.  Back off a little then lunge up my arm and bite HARD at the loose
skin just above my elbow.  He used to do this with the inside of the knee
too, but he's stopped for some reason.  Every time he bites, I scruff him,
whap his nose, and say "No!" right in his face.  His response is to squint
his eyes and look mad.  If he does it again, I repeat the procedure and stick
him in solitary in the travel cage.  Nothing seems to stop this behavior.
How do I stop this guy before summer requires I stop wearing sweatshirts?!?!?
      --robert m fein