From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 09:22:51 -0700
        We got Squeekers when he was about two weeks old and I can't
remember but thinks that he might have been teething.  In any event he did
nip a lot at first though it was more in play than in anger.  We solved the
problem with a bottle of 'Bitter Apple', and also one of Ferretone (or
Linatone) which can be bought at almost any pet store.  Put the Bitter Apple
all over your hands and let it dry (it's a clear liquid with a really
unpleasant taste), and then pick up the ferret and offer a treat of
linatone.  Didn't take ol squeeks to get the idea that people had good
treats even if they tasted bad themselves.

        On another topic, would be interested to know if anyone else had
tried Green Peppers for ferret eating.  Squeekers got a piece from a salad
one day, and they are an absolute favorite of both him and Rocky.  We
started out feeding both of them Friskies dry cat food, along with an
occasional piece of sliced turkey.  Jack (our cat) usually found that right
away however and was in the habit of eating more in a bite or two than
either ferret could in a couple of days.

        Now it is a pretty standard diet of Friskies which is shared with
Jack, along with several slices of Green Pepper every day or so which Jack
ignores.  Ocean Fish flaver seems to most desired, though we occasionally
substitute Friskies 'Kitten Formula' to get the extra calcium.

        Both Ferrets pretty much have the run of a medium size house with
two floors and several safe cubbies in which to hide out, each containing a
soft cloth or stocking cap and with a nearby litter box.  They get plenty of
exercise running up and down stairs, and we have had few health problems,
though Rocky at seven years is pretty much blind and is slowing down a bit.
She stops halfway up the stairs to rest, while squeek bounds on ahead.
Today seems to be a good day for Rocky, she came to play and wanted to get
UP please while I was working here.

        Thanks all, for some interesting ideas and stories.

                                        W.M. from anon