From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 08:18:58 -0400
>While visiting my parents ... I picked up my parents' dog's little squeak
>toy which happened to have a *very* loud squeak.  It got a rather unusual...
>reaction from Newton, she froze, then began her low honks and dooks and
>started following the toy anywhere I would squeak it...  she seemed
>mezmorized by the sound.  It was impossible to tell if she was enjoying
>herself or if she wanted to stuff the toy down my throat.

Jen,

We have a terry-cloth duck (actually a human baby's toy) that get's a
reaction from 4 of our 5 like I never thought possible.  With one squeak, I
can get those 4 ferrets at my feet quicker than lightening.  They have
other squeak toys, but none have this effect.  Shadow, our most vocal one,
makes so much noise when she hears this squeak.  I've always wondered if
she thought I was hurting it, or if she was mezmorized by it.  We only
squeak it if we're trying to locate them, because they all run to my feet
and try to take it and hide it away.  I had a dog that got pretty attached
to a rubber duck once, like it was her baby ??, and every time we squeaked
it, she'd cry like we were hurting her baby.  We had to take it off of her
after a while.  She got too carried away.  I don't want the ferrets to have
the same idea and then have me "teasing" them by squeaking it all of the
time.  All four look like they're having a nervous breakdown when they hear
that sound.  But it sure does get them to come no matter where they are!

Mish