Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 20:49:26 -0500
From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
to:    Kevin Woodyard <>

Kevin,

Just out of curiosity, did the former owners of Casper think about having him
neutered BEFORE giving him up?  How did they come to find out he no longer
stinks?  Are they good friends or could you live with never inviting them
over to your house again?  Do they have children?  What state do you live in
(other than a state of dissappointment at having to even CONSIDER returning
Casper).

Okay, without knowing the answers to the above questions, here is some
experience speaking.

If Casper was given up due to a minor inconvience before, then he will be
given up again for some other crime that the people who had him were not
willing to resolve with proper research BEFORE purchasing Casper in the first
place.  This ferret is a living being and a 6-9 year commitment, which should
be treated with all the respect a 2 year old child deserves.
If you can live with the former owners temporarily (or forever) hating your
guts, then please keep Casper and tell them they can contact a ferret shelter
or local pet shop for another ferret if they really want one again.  Tell
them taking Casper would destroy your child and you want to teach your
children that pets are not disposable animals.

My bet is that if they really want a ferret, they will go out and get one,
call you when they have problems and bug you awhile, then give you the second
ferret because it is too much trouble.  I'd stick this one out IF you really
want what is best for Casper and your heart.

that's like selling a car, finding out the motor is fixed, and then wanting
it back.

Pam

ps   Unless you use a litter box with a low lid, there is no way to cat proof
a ferret box - I just use newspaper in the ferret rooms and the cats have
their own boxes elsewhere.