Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 21:26:16 -0500
From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Andrea,
>3 yr old ferret, food is not passing out of the stomach and she is losing
weight rapidly (in a few days).

The most likely thing that will cause rapid weight loss in a ferret with food
not passing out of the stomach is a complete or partial obstruction of the GI
tract.  These are not always found on x-rays and ultrasound (most of the time
we have to do a barium series---give the patient oral barium which shows up
on xrays and if the barium is not passing there is an obstruction).  The
treatment for an obstruction is surgery ASAP.  If we wait too long the
patient may be too weak to make it through surgery.  It sounds like your
little girl may need at least a barium and surgery.
There are a couple of questions I have, though.  Did they do any bloodwork?
 Is she pinful on abdominal palpation?  Is she lethargic or vomiting?  Any
stools passing and if so are they tarry (black) or do they contain blood.
 Any hair loss?  Any collapsing episodes or gazing into space?
It does not sound like a typical adrenal tumor (there is now an effective
blood test for adrenal tumors, which is more worth the money then
ultrasound).
As usual there are other diseases that could cause this too (stomach ulcers,
eosinophilic gastroenteritis, dental disease, megaesophagus).
GI foreign body sounds like the most likely, by far, from what you have said
so far.
Feel free to call me at the office Saturday if you want to talk about the
case (7AM-1PM)

Dr Weiss
301-299-4142