From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:12:12 -0400
To Mason Weinrich:

>Quick question for the vets online.  Pogo is now nine weeks old, and is
>getting ready for his second distemper shot.  I know they are supposed to
>get them at 2-3 week intervals, with the last shot at 14 weeks.  Yet he got
>his first shot at about 6 weeks, so the math doesn't really add up.  When
>should he get shots # 2 and 3?

        MAson - the math doesn't have to ad up perfectly.  For optimal results,
the shots should be given 3-4 weeks apart (so you have a bit of "play" here),
and if he gets an extra shot - it probably won't hurt.  There is a very low
risk of reactions with the initial series, as the body doesn't have a chance to
build up the type of allergic reaction needed to set off anaphylaxis.  It takes
a while (usually at least a year) for the body to get primed for one of those
bad episodes.

        If you went 6,9,12,15 - that would be optimal.