From:
"J. L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 21:16:40 -0400
        Hello again all, I've been reading the latest comments and posts
regarding children and ferrets, and although all of the points raised have
been valid ones, it disturbs me to see that so many people have such a poor
belief in the learning ability of the kids!  I mean, it sounds to me like
most people have given up any chance of chidren being able to restrain their
active selves, and I think that philosophy is totally wrong!

        Too many times, we let ourselves fall into the trap that kids will be
kids, and that they are too young or too active to learn self-control or
proper respect for others.  However, having grown up surrounded by dogs and
cats (both adults and young ones of those), I was therefore introduced at
an incredibly early age to animals.  My parents tell me that at day one,
the moment I did something rough or objectionable to an animal, whether or
not the animal seemed to mind, they quickly intervened and made it quite
clear to me that the action was not an acceptable one (hmm, sounds like ferret
bite training...).  They did not let me toddle around chasing the cats, or
tug on the dog's ears.  Plus, they were constantly handling and cuddling the
animals in the right way, showing by example all the correct ways to interact
with our pets.  It worked wonderfully, and ever since I can remember, my
parents have been able to watch me cuddle cats without squeezing them, and
pick up puppies without making them yelp in fear.

        My point?  Don't underestimate children's abilities to learn!  If
shown constantly from the very first instant, even a young child will quickly
learn that animals must be treated carefully and gently.  Children are not
necessarily brutes - just like baby ferrets, kids can get away with pushing,
shoving, and squeezing each other more roughly than they can with smaller
animals (or in the ferrets' cases, those with thinner skins).  Most children
aren't malicious in purpose, and will happily play with animals in the
correct ways.

        Whew!  Enough preaching for now!  I'd also like to say that I've loved
some of the stories recently - especially the rabbit one!  Kindjal does
something somewhat similar, in that he'll attack an unsuspecting cat, but
what he does is kind of run along underneath the rather large cat, nipping
what parts of the cat he can reach.  It's always a treat to see this huge
orange tabby come flying through the room, with the little feet and tail of
a weasel just barely visible beneath his low-hanging belly!
        Jessi & Kindjal (smelly weasel-thief extraordinaire)