From:
braunap1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 07:08:06 EST
Folks,

   I volunteered in the past to get more information regarding the
ferret that was "put under" in Washington County, Maryland.  I've been
really busy but felt I should share what little I've found so far.

   First, I spoke with Dr. Neil (I believe his first name is John) and
he clarified that the SPCA was holding the ferret until a decision was
made by the judge presiding over the case.  Once the verdict was
passed, it was the SPCA who carried out the injection.  I have the
phone number of the Washington County SPCA for anyone who'd like it.

   Meanwhile, I haven't spoken to anyone at that SPCA office, yet, but
have been told by others that the injection was probably carried out
very humanely as compared to the first reports of "a large-bore needle
into the heart".

   BTW, when I spoke with Dr. Neil we both were quite calm and very
civil to each other.  However, I got the distinct impression that he
didn't want to hear any opinions about ferrets and rabies and shedding
studies, et al.  I mentioned that ferrets have been domesticated 500
years longer than the cat.  This fell on deaf ears, except that he
started to say that they get cats and dogs that bite people.  when i
argued that they don't immediately ask for the execution of those
animals, he immediately stopped that train of conversation.

   I asked him what it would take to convince him that ferrets can be
inoculated for rabies.  I asked what criteria we'd have to pass in
order to satisfy his fears.  I got no reply except for the phone
number for the SPCA in Wash. Co.  I wonder if he was listening.

   Anyway, I'm working on trying to help resolve situations like this
FOREVER.  Unfortunately, Dr. Neil is not going to change his stripes,
at least it appears that way.  One question I'm looking into is how do
we get him replaced with a more knowledgeable and credible person.

   Also, I'm thinking of making Neil(anderthal) T-shirts!

                         Respectfully Yours,
                           Alan Braunstein