From:
"Anna M. Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 06:24:52 -0600
Well, seems I finally found something they ferrets LIKE in their cage so I
thought I'd pass on the tip (though I'm sure half of your already have this
for your kids. :) ) My three (actually four, Possum was still around when I
tried this out) completely ignored those little hanging hamocks for the
cages. They had no interest whatsoever in sleeping or playing in or around
them. I finally took it back because it just seemed to get in the way of
their play. Next I tried putting a basket in there. Applejuice layed in it a
bit, but most the time it ended up in the litter box, as did the shoe box.
If I tied them to the sides of the cage, the beastlings dug like crazy until
it was shredded. It was a complete waste. Well, last night I bought a cheap
plastic basket from Target, in the hair section. I guess it's to hold hair
clips or make-up? Anyway, I tied it with twistees towards the top of the
cage. Applejuice was climbing in even before I had it set up. Once it was,
Max tried to climb in too, but Applejuice kept pushing his head down. The
only interest Beckett has shown is trying to get his brother or sister to
come down and play, but overall this cheap little basket is a HUGE success.
I came home from work to find Juice and Max curled up together inside it
asleep. Beckett was happy because it gave him more room on the cage floor.
Anyway, just thought I'd pass that on.

ahn and crew

ps Yay! Beckett JUST braved it and climbed into the basket! He's so gosh
darn CUTE!

pps one more thing... only slightly ferret related but funny. I have four
small ferret litter boxes (not including the one in the cage) located in
strategic corners in my apartment. In addition, I have a larger cat box for
Dormilon which the ferrets have used on occassion. Seems Chloe, the adopted
pregnant kitty, is litter boxed trained (which is a good thing) but instead
of using the cat box, she uses whichever ferret box she happens to be near.
EVERYbox has been christened! I'd much rather she poop IN the box instead of
OUT of the box, but ferret poop is much smaller and less offensive. And she
kicks out the litter when she covers it up. Sheesh.