From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 00:44:51 -0500
On the subject of vet visits. . .
Marshmallow has always been the most cooperative of our ferrets when it comes
to vet visits. He hardly noticed his distemper shot ("Is that you, Ralph?").
He stood perfectly still while the vet checked his ears ("Sigh--one of life's
little bothers"). Once the vet even remarked that he had never seen a ferret
so well-behaved ("Boy, am I sleepy"). Then came the visit to check out what
looked like a little nip on his cheek.
Marshmallow was uncustomarily squirmy. It was very early in the day and he
hadn't yet been out for his afternoon romp. Still, he was much more wiggly
than I would expect. The vet thought Marshmallow would be just fine, for
which I was happy. I took the little critter out to the front desk to pay. I
tried to write a check while holding Marshmallow--I figured he was nervous
and needed a hug. But he fought me every bit of the way. Finally, I put him
down on the counter so I could finish writing the check. When I looked up I
saw why Marshmallow had been squirming so much--he had gone to the bathroom
all over the counter! The little sweetheart had fooled me by backing into the
corner of the litter box at home. I thought he had done his business. Nope.
The receptionist assured me that these accidents happen all the time. Still,
I was terribly embarrassed. Marshmallow, however, was terribly relieved. :>p
--Mary