From:
Johan Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 15:15:00 +0100
What we thought never could happen has now happened. Our most
beloved little albino Amanda have now left us for a place in the
ferret heaven. She was three years when she came to live with
our oldies, who left us in summer 1993 (7 and 8 years old).
Amanda managed to cheer them both up at a time when they seemed
to be getting old and lazy. She made them joyful and happy again.
Amanda lived with us for almost five years, so she was not a
young girl anymore, but she was always playful almost to the
bitter end. We started to notice some changes around Christmas.
She didn't want to be tickled on hur tummy, just to jump up and
run around, anymore. Her stole was from time to time a bit runny,
but it is normal that it can vary. And she was sleeping quite a
lot, but that often happen during winter. She was eating very
good all the time, which made us think that she was alright,
though she had almost become hysterical about food. As soon as
the bowl was empty she started to hunt us to make us fill up the
bowl again. And that was something new. Then suddenly one morning
when I was leaving home I found her on the doormat. By some
strange reason she was terrified. She had never been afraid
before, so I took her up and handed her over to my wife that
tried to calm her. I left for a trip and the following
happened: She continued first to run and hide, but after a
while she fell asleep. My wife noticed after a couple of hours
that she was beginning to get unconscious and left imidiately
for the vet. As always, this was late in the evening and the
vet that was at the hospital didn't have much experience of
ferrets. She said that she didn't think she could do much, but
if my wife wanted she would give it a try. She decided though
that as Amanda was in such a poor state, 8 years old, she would
probably not come out of the anaesthesia alive and it was then
better for her to just calmly be put to sleep.
Our State Vet. made an autopsie and found that she had four
formation at the stomach (pylorus). The formations contained
inflammatory tissue which at special colouring showed a huge
amount of bacteria of the species Mycobacterium avium.
From what I understand she had probably got it from something
that she had eaten. According to the vet she had probably had
it for a long time but not shown any signs. It has earlier
been seen among minks (Mustela vison) at farms, which confirm
that it is spread in food.
My questions are: have you heard about this bacteria before,
do you know anything about the disease, can it be spread by air or
by contact between animals, how can it be diagnosed (we would
like to check that our other ferrets don't have it), can it be
treated, and if so can we do some prophylactic treatment on the
others?
Is it also contagious for us?
Any information is valuable for us.

Re. ferret smell.
As a professional wine taster I have of course tried to describe
ferret smells. I fully agree with your wife that they smell
like pop corn when they've been sleeping. I have also noticed
a somewhat sweeter smell more similar to butterscotch. Many
ferret owners also talk about honey, which I have not found.
Though being away from them for a while and then coming back you
notice a sweet, spicy smell that draws towards what frenchmen
often describe as wild. The olfactory experience of deer meet
is a bit similar. Maybe you should bring some ferrets to Ann
Noble, professor at University of California Davis, who is an
expert on aromas. To be safe it's maybe better to bring her to
the ferrets.
We have had a hob in heat for a while (now castrated), and that
is a completely different smell. Some of you have maybe been
unlucky to get in to a restroom that haven't been cleend for
a long time...

Re. descenting and declawing (terrible word)
I have known for a long time that a lot of the ferrets in USA
are descented. I can understand that people don't find the smell
agreeable, but normally they use these glands very rarely,
maybe once a year, if you are not unlucky.
What I can't understand at all is how someone can declaw a ferret.
 From what I understand also declawing of cats are common in USA.
I find this utterly discusting. It takes away an important part
of the animals normal behaviour. I read the other day that
someone had theire ferret declawed, and it didn't do much harm.
There was really no big difference. When he tried to dig it just
took longer time. I through up! It's like cutting off someones
fingers. It takes a little longer to eat, but I goes alright!!?
If you can't adopt your home to the ferrets normal behaviour,
you should get an other animal. We have had ferrets for more
than ten years running around our apartment. Yes, they like to
scratch things, yes they have made small marks. But we have
arranged our home to minimise these negative things. We have
put cover on our doors and under the sofa, which actually are
the only thing that have interested them to attack. Other
things you can teach them not to mess up, if you take time to
do it.
I have absolutely no understanding for this. If you want
a pet that definitely wont damage your home, buy an aquarium.
I don't think any vet in Sweden would even consider declawing
a ferret, and absolutely not a cat. Wake up over there! Treet
the animal for what it is and not just like a toy for your own
enjoyment.
I guess I now have put out my chin, but I think that a lot of
you ferret friends agree with me.

This got much to long.
Greetings from
Johan + my three furry friends Zeus, Maia and Penelope (neither
declawed, nor descented).