From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 23:28:13 -0500
Jill and Baby,
>bought a new ferret from a pet store who had loose stools and passed away
within 2 wks.
>now Baby has bloody diarrhea and is lethargic and dehydrated

I'm so sorry to hear about your tramatic experience!  It is very likely that
baby caught whatever Ulysses had.  Although this is serious with prompt
treatment I believe Baby can be saved.  It sounds like your vet is doing a
good job to save Baby.
There are several diseases that could cause these symptoms including:viral
(green diarrhea,or other virus),bacterial (campylobacter) or parasitic
(giardia,coccidia).  Microscopic examination of the stool can help rule out
parasites.  In all of these cases of diarrhea (no matter what the cause)
supportive care with fluids and electrolytes , antibiotics and warmth is the
most important part of the treatment to keep the patient hydrated and
nurished.  In the case of parasites additional medications are needed to
treat the underlying cause.
To care for the other ferrets that are not sick I would recommend the
following:
1)Closely monitor their appetites.  At the first sign of loss of appetite
call your vet.
2)Check if they are dehydrated by lifting up a pinch of their skin over the
shoulder blades(if it snaps right back into place they are o.k.).  Your vet
can show you how to do this.
3)At the first sign of lethargy (they look tired or lazy) or diarrhea call
your vet.
4) Its ok to continue the Pediolyte.
I hope all goes well
Dr. Weiss