From:
"H. R. Buckley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 07:16:42 -0500
Andi
        Our male Smokey had a problem with wax build up in his ears. He
was tested for ear mites many times. (The mites are too small to be seen
by the naked eye, and they cause a red waxy discharge). The results were
always negative even when one of the others tested positive. Finally our
vet recommended we treat Smokey as if the tests were positive and prescribed
Ivomec Mineral oil in the ears once weekly for three weeks. This solved his
waxy ear problem.  Now when ever one has mites, we treat them all. This might
help your big male, though I you should probably check with your vet to make
sure this will not interfere with his ear infection treatment.

About ferrets outside.

        Ours love to go outside. They even try to escape when we let the
dog/cat in/out or get firewood. Some times we let them run around the
garage for a few minutes, but we have to be careful since the garage is not
ferret proofed. When they are outside, their tail are usually bottled, and
they do tend to run to the nearest shelter, or digging ground. They seem to
suffer from acrophobia. Considering their small stature, eyesight, position
in the food chain and evolutionary background, this makes sense. They also
seem to love being scared, as long as their is no real danger, much like
humans and roller coasters. They really love to be out side at a Ferret
Frolic.

Margaret, Richard
Smokey, Pixie, Boots and Ping.