From:
"chris (c.r.) lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:00:48 +0000
Jeffrey C Jones said:

>1) A newsgroup just lends itself to spamming/flamewars/flamebaiters.  I
>   think most FMLers like this little community as it is.
>2) A lot of FMLers don't have Usenet access, and couldn't participate.
>3) If the group is gatewayed to a mailing list, we would still have the
>   problem I mentioned in #1.

Re (3):  the flaming/baiting would be in the mailing list too.  Large
numbers of people on the mailing list would unsubscribe because the
volume would jump enormously.  A ferret newsgroup might be a good idea,
but you couldn't have it automatically gatewayed *to* the mailing list.
The other way would be okay though.  I had contemplated gating
FML issues *to* rec.pets.  Gatewaying from the newsgroup to the mailing
list would have to be moderated.

Bill?  What do you think of gating the FML *to* rec.pets?  One article
a day, and would permanently end most requests for FML information.

[Moderators note: I could do it, but would like to know what the
 people on rec.pets think about it first.
 By the way, nice to hear from the former moderator of the FML.
 I'm glad you're still reading.   BIG]

How are you fixed for gating FML *to* rec.pets?  I could do it
very easily here - indeed, I'm *already* gating it to news - this
is where I read the FML now - I'd just have to add "rec.pets" to
the Newsgroups: line.  The only thing you'd have to do is add
some sort of note to the FML headers about replying for Usenetters.
--
Every once in a while I write something that someone might use
in a signature.  So I go back and make it real spiffy.  No luck.