From:
ANON@ANON
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 16:35:43 PST
To Dick B.

     Your response to my post about Hawaii was very interesting.
But there was one line in it that I feel I have to address.  At
one point you said:

In other words, a ferret may be the ideal pet to allow in a delicate eco

system.

My opinion only,

Dick B

Your points were well taken up to this point.  IMHO, there is no
ideal pet to allow into a delicate ecosystem.  By nature a delicate
ecosystem is exactly that, DELICATE.  The only organisms that
should be in a delicate system are the NATIVE ones.

Your point that Cats and Dogs will cause more harm in Hawaii is
absoultely true.  Since I am a Ferret owner, I know that
establishing a Feral population is hard.  But, I think that in
situations like this, where wild animals and ecosystems are at
stake, it is better to err on the side of caution.

Dogs, Snakes, Cats, Cattle, etc have all harmed the Hawaiian islands
a great deal.  Being a hardcore environmentalist, I can't agree
that Ferrets should be allowed to enter Hawaii.  In ecological
and environmental literature, there are too many cases where
"harmless" introduced species have destroyed ecosystems.

Just an Opinion,
D.E., Brea, CA

[ I assumed you wanted this anon, D.E. - hope that's ok.  (It wasn't
  sent to ferret-anon)  BIG ]