From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 07:40:38 EST
>My male urinates normally and in sufficient quantity but the color of his urine
>is very strange. It's very dark, almost has a tinge of brown in it. Is this
>normal for males? My little girls' urine is a very light, almost clear yellow.
>He's been this way for a while and I'm not sure if I should worry and take hime
>to his vet. I appreciate any info on this.

        Urine color often varies between individuals based on diet and the
amount of water consumed.  The color of urine generally is representattive of
its concentration - the more urine passed, the less concentrated, and the more
dilute and brighter yellow.  More concentrated urine is darker yellow.

        Since you say that your male has done this for a while and that the
quantity and act of urination appears normal, I would not be terribly concerned
at this point.  While darker brown urine may indicate a urinary tract infection
in some animals - you would also see a change in the frequency and character
(i.e. straining, and urinating in small amounts in odd places, or dribbling.

        However, it would not hurt to take a sample to your vet and have him
chack it for blood - one of hte early warning signs of urinary tract infections.
 Blood can also be seen in ferret with bladder stones.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000