From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 12:54:19 -0400
Okay, I've received a few (seven) responses about whether I should
allow Paul Celestin to include the Ferret FAQ on the Internet CD-ROM
for the Mac he's making.  Most people seem to feel that while it would
be better if someone (me, a ferret shelter, etc.) could make some
money from it, it would be good to get the information distributed in
any case.  I'm inclined to agree, and within the next few days I plan
to send Paul a note which reads something like

  I, Pamela L. Greene, creator of the five-part compilation
  distributed as the Ferret FAQ on the Usenet newsgroups rec.pets,
  rec.answers and news.answers, among other sources, grant to Paul
  Celestin of Celestin Company non-exclusive permission to distribute
  those five files on his Internet CD for Macintosh users to be
  released around November of 1994, with the following provisions:

  * The five files are to be distributed in their entirety, with no
  additions or modifications except as noted below.
  * The Usenet news headers may be removed from each of the files, and
  the five parts may be concatenated into a single file.  If the files
  are combined, the copyright notice, description, disclaimer and
  table of contents may be removed from each part except the first.
  * The newest versions of the files available as of the CD-ROM
  publication deadline must be used.  These shall be obtained by FTP
  from rtfm.mit.edu as /pub/usenet/news.answers/ferret-faq/part[1-5],
  or directly from me by electronic mail.  Versions posted to the
  Usenet newsgroups may be out of date and should not be used.
  * The following line MUST be inserted at the beginning of the FAQ,
  or at the beginning of each part if they are not concatenated into a
  single file:

  "Information in this file was current as of <date> and may have been
  subject to later modification.  To find out how to get the most
  recent version of this FAQ at no cost, see section [0.2], below."

  where <date> is to be replaced with the date the files were
  obtained.

  [Incidentally, something very like this last provision seems like a
  good idea for all the FAQs you include on the CD.]

Well, that's it.  Sorry to have gone on so long...  Anyone have any
comments or suggestions?

Thanks for listening,
- Pam in Rochester, NY  ([log in to unmask])
Scratcher of ears, provider of raisins, rescuer of tormented kittens
Ferret FAQ 2.0: rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/ferret-faq/*