From:
Rebecca Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 17:29:59 -0400
Hi, all
I'm an entomologist and ferret owner. From the description of the bugs
in the ferret litter box & cage, I can't really tell what the insects
are.

One possibility is that they are dermestid beetles (other names: carpet
beetles, museum beetles, wire worms).  Occasionally I get a few of these
in and around the cat food bowl (I never see them round the litter box, but
it could happen).  These are very easy to get rid of--clean the litter box,
cage, bedding, and food bowls--make sure you wash everything with soap and
water, and throw away litter, food, & anything that can't be washed.  Vacuum
the area carefully.  That should do it.  No need for insecticides.

If the people with unidintified flying insect objects would like to email
me directly, I might be able to figure out what the insects are.  This
would be really useful in suggesting control measures.

Rebecca Clayton