From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 08:27:37 -0500
Thought some FMLers would like to read this quote that I came upon
while searching for articles on ferrets/biting/rabies/etc.

"Can you catch rabies from your ferret? Probably not" (Apr. 24, 1981).
JAMA, 245, p. 1628.

   "Among other things, the ferret is used in medical research for the
study of respiratory viruses.  On one occasion a few years ago, a
medical investigator who had injected such a virus into a ferret bent
down face-to-face to see if the little creature had watery eyes or
other signs of infection.
   "The ferret picked that moment to sneeze - promptly giving the
infection back to the researcher."

I know that we don't like to read about ferrets being used as lab
animals, but maybe this is some sign that the idea of karma (or what
goes around comes around) works for ferrets? :)

Also, please listen to Troy's message in the last FML regarding writing
letters to Dr. Clark.  Pass on the info to national/state/local ferret
organizations you may belong to, as well as to vets who you know under-
stand what our little furry friends are really like.

Check the references if you're reading letters to the editor or scientific
articles on ferrets.  I saw an anti-ferret letter in the Western Journal of
Medicine that cited, to back up their assertions of the vicious nature
of ferrets, their own pamphlet (they work for the CA Dept. of Health
Services - but self-citation isn't uncommon at all), a JAMA article on
ferret attacks (which featured 3 cases of attacks on infants and some
stats, but NO comparisons to dog attacks, etc.), and 2 books published in
England in the mid-1800's!  Regarding the latter, I think ferrets have
changed since then.  I haven't looked at the books (yet; the library
here may or may not have copies), but they may be describing the European
polecat, and not our dear pets at all.

Please, we need everyone to work on the acceptance of ferrets as legitimate
pets, even if you live in a great state.  Other people and their furries
need you, and your own ferret may nip someone in a FFZ or kill-and-test
area someday - unless we can change attitudes and laws.

Denise (who's still not sure how safe her furry friends are, as the state
     and county haven't sent requested info)
  * Rocko & Randall ("Mommy, why don't you take us on walks here like you do
       when we visit Daddy in Illinois?")
  * Grumpy (teddy bear hamster)