From:
Angela Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 10:52:31 -0500
Dear FML readers:
   I recently posted a request that FML readers write to the various
airlines' customer or consumer relations offices to petition them to
allow ferrets as in-cabin pets (in under-seat "port-a-kennels").
   I know many of you have more urgent weasel matters to attend to, but
the present discrimination against ferrets prevents people (including
those who make nasty FFZ laws) from coming into contact with ferrets
and seeing first-hand what they are like.  It also makes traveling with
your fuzzy pretty darn hard.
   I would like airlines to treat ferrets the same as they treat dogs,
cats, exotic birds, and Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs -- all of which are
currently permitted in the cabin by some or most major airlines!
(I know that at least two airlines recently added miniature pigs to
their Okay list!  This must mean something... maybe that alot of
well-to-do airline customers (or management) have acquired these rather
expensive pets, and the airlines heard their "bottom line" ringing.

   I have compiled a partial list of the airline addresses to send
letters to -- something along the following lines (this is the letter I
sent; feel free to copy it or to be creative):

Dear Customer Relations Manager,
   I have used your airline in the past, and would do so more often if
I could bring my pet ferret with me in the cabin (in an appropriate under-
seat pet container).  Your policy on this is not clear -- although other
domesticated animals are allowed in the cabin.  Ferrets are the most popular
American pet after dogs and cats; they are quite tame, affectionate, quiet
(no barking!), and pleasant to be around.  I'm sure you would attract
additional customers if you explicitly permit ferrets onboard flights.
Most ferret owners value their pets too much to consider placing them in
the pressurized hold with large, barking dogs, etc. -- but we certainly
would pay a reasonable fee to bring them in the cabin with us.
   Yours sincerely, etc. ...

Okay, here are the addresses.  Thanks for you help; the more letters they
receive, the more likely they will be to change their policy.

American Airlines Consumer Relations
   (Attn. Miss J. L. Furguson)
PO Box 619612-MD2400
DFW Airport
Texas 75261-9612

Southwest Airlines Customer Relations
214-904-4223
PO Box 36611
Dallas TX 75235-1611

Delta Airlines Customer Relations
1030 Delta Blvd
Atlanta GA  30320

Northwest Airlines Customer Relations
MS C5270
5101 Northwest Dr
St. Paul MN  55111-3034

Trans World Airlines (TWA) Customer Relations
11495 Natural Bridge Rd
Room 310
St. Louis MO 63044

USAir Airlines Customer Relations
PO Box 1501
Winston-Salem NC 27102-1501

United Airlines Passenger Customer Relations
PO Box 66100
Chicago IL  60666