Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 21:17:05 -0500
From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
to:    Gugge Tvrnquist <>
Subject: When to neuter. WAS: My ferret's behavior is changing...

In the U.S., the only reason for early spay / neutering is for the convience
of the pet shop, consumers, and the laboratories.  In fact, I have a paper
written by Dr. Judi Bell, Vet at Marshall Farms (the largest ferret breeder
in the states) and even she makes the statement that descenting is
unnecessary!  But US consumers have it through their thick heads [no one on
this board included :)] that a ferret will smell better if descented.

Early spay / neutering does seem related to a shorter life span.  There do
NOT seem to be any health benefits because adrenal cancers are more promenent
in "convinience kits" than in ferrets from a small breeder.

STAR* has done a few surveys on cancers and lifespan.  And just from plain
observation while dealing with 150 ferrets a year through my shelter.  There
have been no true scientific studies done to my knowledge.

Pam/Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets