From:
Danny Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 18:50:12 EDT
>Does anyone know for certain the legas status of pet domestic ferrets in
>Beaumont, TX ?

Rick,
I just moved there, and have learned that they are illegal (it's mentioned in
the ffz files).  I heard that about 3 years ago, there was a movement to
legalize them, but it was unsuccessful.  An employee of the pet store in the
mall (which does sell ferret supplies and has sold ferrets), said that they are
illegal to own and sell because of the rabies fear.  I guess longhorns are just
tougher cows than what you find in CA.  :)  That is all I know for sure.  Most
people are just ignorant of their status, but I don't know if they actively seek
them out or what their general attitude is.  The rest of the county is legal
though.  So I'm not sure how much you could get away with.

I used to live in North Richland Hills and Fort Worth.  They are illegal there
too, but being my lifelong home, it was something I would have never worried
about--reminds me of the fence climbing mut I had.  Animal control chased him
back over the fence and then decided to open the gate to get him.  She bit off
more than she could chew then--apparantly a big no-no my neighbors knew about.
The neighbors quickly embarrassed, threatened, and evicted her and she never
came back.  OH, I love that Texas attitude when it comes to personal property or
individual rights.

If anyone has any further enlightenment or know any of the ferret history in
Beaumont, I'd sure like to hear it.  All I know is once I settle in, and get
aquainted with the A&M Aggie club (one of Beaumont's largest organizations), I
think I will take on a new hobby.  :)

Danny
'90

 ()--( )