From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 07:12:38 -0400
To Cindy Sooy:

   >My 3 1/2 year old hob, Axel, has a small lump ... on the left side of his
>neck near his shoulder. My vet thought at first that it might be a cyst and
>she tried to get some fluid from it but apparently it is very solid.

   Cindy - subcutaneous tumors are very common in ferrets and may arise
quickly.  The key here is that over 95% are benign.

> She said some animals get calcium deposits but she thought he was too
>young for that, so she thought it was probably a sarcoma or fibrosarcoma.

   Ferrets rarely get calcium depostis, and then only in areas of previous
vaccinations.  They also rarely get fibrosarcoma - sarcomas (malignant tumors
of non-epidermal origin) that I have seen are hemangiosarcoma (a tumor of blood
vessels) and neurofibrosarcoma (a tumor of nerves) - but both of these are
low-grade, easily removed, and I have never seen metastasis.

> I am on vacation from May 13 to May 21 and if surgery is warranted it
>will be done at this time.

   That's the ticket!!!

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology