From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 13:28:33 -0400
> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Playing in litter
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 16:45:08 -0400
>
> already learning how hard she can bite before I'll complain.  The pet
> store said that there were no papers with the ferrets they got that
> day, although there usually are. How important is it to have papers
> and what's in them?

        As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't let your ferret bite at all.
Even if it doesn't hert.  Later in life she may play bite someone and
bang your in deep S*&T.  As far as papers go. They just have a registration
form for a 30 or 90 day warranty, and the very minimum amount of data on
ferrets and there history.  Pretty much useless.  Also there  is a
certificate of spaying/neuter and distemper vaccine. These are important
in some areas to prove your ferret is fixed.

> Is it normal for the kit not to eat right away?  I brought her home tue
> night and now it's wed afternoon and she hasn't touched her moistened
> Science Diet Growth!  She is
> very playful and seems healthy in all other respects.  Should
> I be concerned?  She doesn't seem to be interested in ferretone either!
> I guess I shouldn't wait for the response to this, I'll call the pet
> store.

        Some ferrets take awhile before they eat.  Was the pet store
feeding them S.D.?  Sometimes change of food also causes ferrets to
stop eating.  Some ferrets don't like ferretone or linatone at all.
One of mine would rather die before trying ferretone.

> Second question:  She seems to enjoy playing, rolling and swatting her
> litter, but she wont poop in it.  She tries to use a corner and I
> move her into the tray and then she won't go.  When she plays in the
> tray I take her out.  Am I doing something wrong?

        Just take alittle ferret poop and mix it in with the clean litter.
Also keep alittle soiled litter in there every time you change the litter,
till she knows it's for pooping not playing.

> --
> SteveS and %kit_name% in NYC
>
> ---------------------------------------
> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 20:05:37 -0400
> Subject: Need advice for ferret sick with intestinal problems
>
> Charlie is a two-year-old neutered male silver-mitt ferret.  He has
> always been fed good-quality cat/kitten food, most recently MaxCat
> Kitten food. his diet is supplemented by ferretone, and raisins, which
> he can't get enough of.
>
> Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly, greatly appreciated.
> Prayers are also welcome.
>
> -Sheldon, ferrets Charlie & Finnegan, and Tasha the cockatoo.

        I hope Charlies' better.  I can't realy help you here, but you and
any other ANON poster should take down a few email addresses of people who
could help you.  This way you can get quicker responces.  24 hrs is a very
long time for a sick or dieing ferret.  I hope you find a vet near by and
wish you and Charlie lots of luck and good wishes.

        Back to media type stuff.  Someone mentioned the white house in the
last FML.  They do have an email address.  From what I've heard they do
reply.  It may just be an computer generated reply but what the heck.  I
don't think the white house will help us much, but you never know.
If any one has this address why don't we add it to the list of emails/phone
calls to our media bashing date.  Boy this is going to be fun. :)  Also
should we post something to rec.pets and any other pet net as well.

        Have a great weekend.

        Brad.

        P.S. I found the white house address and some information I will
send in after this post.