From:
Robert Galvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 14:28:29 -0500
Miranda, our 2 1/2 year old ferret has been in the hospital since last
Friday.  We've been taking her to the vet since last Wednesday, because
she was drinking 2-3 times her normal amount of water and acting more
aggressive and not eating her regular food (Science Diet).  They noticed
she was de-hydrated and injected her with fluids, etc. and drew blood for
a full workup.  Nothing seemed too unusual, but by Friday afternoon she
was not herself, still not eating and drinking too much water, she had
trouble walking and would stand and stare into space.

She spent the entire weekend in the hospital, and we spent the entire
weekend worrying.  This week, the news is still mixed.  Her attitude
and appetite were better on Monday, but her blood count has dropped from
50 (Fri or Sat) to 35 (yesterday) to 21 (today).  Her stools were black
and tarry on Thu-Fri-Sat, but cleared up over the weekend and still seem
clear.  Yesterday, the Doc did an x-ray in addition to the exams,
bloodwork, and anti-biotics she has been administering to Miranda for the
past few days.  Nothing showed up on the x-ray.

Needless to say, we've been very worried and can think of little else but
our poor fuzzy.  Just in case she picked up a virus from food or around
the house, we've been giving anti-biotics to Montague (Miranda's brother),
who doesn't much care for the thrice daily ritual.  We'd appreciate anyone
on the list (and their fuzzies) to think good thoughts for Miranda and
ourselves as we do for anyone who is on sick leave from ferret life.  If
her blood work continues to sour, she may face surgery or worse...thanks
for any positive energy you can send our way!

Robert Galvin   Reply: [log in to unmask]    Phone: 612-733-7105      ~~~
Snail: 3M Center, Bldg 224-3S-17           Fax:   612-737-5539     \o-o/
       St. Paul, MN  55144-1000                                    | _`|
                                                                    """