Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:13:38 -0500
From:
Chris Bern <[log in to unmask]>
Okay, here's what I've got so far.  I know we were told to send this
stuff to Bill directly, but this is more just to let everyone know what
the status on Usenet is.

When the idea for a ferret newsgroup came up last year, response was
mediocre and enthusiasm was high.  So I expected to have a good response
from putting the FML on rec.pets.  In actuality, there was hardly any
response.  No one followed up the post on the newsgroup, and only three
people emailed me directly (all in favor of the idea).  The response here
on FML has been mixed.  So basically the decision rests with us.

I'm still in favor of a separate ferret newsgroup.  Not meaning to take
away from FML, but it would allow quicker, easier, cheaper access to
those who can use Usenet.  But getting enough support to get it passed
would be tough.  Gating FML to rec.pets would be the next best idea.
That would spread knowledge of ferrets and FML to a broader group
(IMHO).  The biggest concern about this idea seems to be the threat of
flaming.  I've been posting and responding on Usenet for about a year
now, and though I've been involved in a couple of flames on posts, I've
never had anyone flame me directly through email.  Frankly, I think that
threat is overblown.  As far as flames on FML, this is a moderated
newsgroup, so flaming could be nixed before it ever shows up on this format.

Anyway, that's the scoop.  Now it's up to us to decide what to do.  As
Bill said, send responses directly to him so we don't fill up the FML.
My vote--gate FML to rec.pets and see what happens.

Chris Bern                      |
[log in to unmask]            |  Abscence diminishes a mediocre passion
                                |     and augments a great one.
North Carolina State University |  Like the wind blows out the candle
College of Veterinary Medicine  |     and lights the fire.
Class of '97                    |
Raleigh, NC                     |