From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 20:44:25 -0500
Rafael Garcia <[log in to unmask]> asked:
> I was wondering about what to give a ferret for treats.

Every ferret's different.  Pixxel won't touch anything but raisins or
dried-liver cat treats, and Rusty eats whatever he can steal, whether
or not he likes it.  Some popular suggestions are in the FAQ.  In
short, just keep trying things.  Smearing a new food with Ferretone
may help get your ferret to at least try it.  And if you never find a
treat she likes, don't worry about it.  She can live just fine on
kitten/cat food, and Linatone works great for training.

> Then she will take one piece of food and run to a corner of the
> room.  She will either eat it there or start a pile of food.  She
> will then run back to the cage and do the same thing over and over
> again.  Any suggestions?

Smile indulgently. :)  It's standard ferret behavior.

Various people have written about playing music...  Pixxel and Rusty
came out to see what I was doing when I started playing saxophone, but
neither of them was particularly interested.  They do chase squeaky
toys, so I guess sax just doesn't have the right harmonics.

Chris VonSeggern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> He's done his share of damage -- chewed carpet [...].  I'm just
> praying they don't look the place over too carefully when I move
> out.

We had one of those caged-pets-only leases, which we pretended we
weren't violating.  Pixxel did a fair bit of digging at the
(brand-new) carpet by some of the closet doors. When we moved out, we
"shaved" the carpet with a kitchen shears, trimming the long, fuzzy
patches she'd made down to the level of the rest of the pile.  It was
hardly noticeable when we finished.

Jim Makowski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If I can get my fiances clearance, I'll send the photos to Pam
> Greene(?) at Ferret Central for posting on the WWW.

Yep, it's me.  The photos sound great -- I hope you can send them!

- Pam Greene  <[log in to unmask]>
Ferret Central - <http://www.ceas.rochester.edu:8080/ee/users/rhode/index.html>
Ferret FAQ - GET ANSWERS PACKAGE FERRET in mail to <[log in to unmask]>