From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 15:15:00 CST
Bill -- I just posted a message in response to D.E. Brea's comments *before*
I read the next couple of issues and saw you'd asked for an end to the
comments.  Sorry about that -- wouldn't blame you if you deleted my message
(though I sorta hope you don't :) )

D.E. -- I'm sorry, but I certainly feel it's possible to get mad *and* even.
We're all entitled to our anger.  If that's not your style, more power to
you.  End of subject for me, too, and honestly no flames intended.

Jody and Steve -- I'm sorry to differ, but I have to disagree that `Galaxy-D
is a perfectly acceptable canine distemper vaccine'.  While it certainly *is*
for dogs, neither its safety nor its efficacy have been proven in ferrets,
and the company won't guarantee it.  I know some are using it without
negative results, but unfortunately that doesn't prove what kind of
protection it offers.  I called Dr. Susan Brown 3 days ago just to double
check -- she still does not feel this Simian-derived vaccine should be used
in ferrets, and that only Fervac-D should be used to vaccinate for canine
distemper.  While I don't expect LIFE to take any sort of a stance against
it, I personally would discourage it's use (with the usual exceptions for
ferrets with known intolerance to Fervac, etc.).

Jason -- most people with animal allergies, including myself, do *very* well
with ferrets.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96