From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 12:42:00 -0400
A friend who has rats (and ferrets) is having a problem with a fatty
deposit in her rats mammory gland.  She requested that I post this
problem on the FML in case anyone here can help.  Her rat is about
2 years old, eats rat feed, carrots, strawberries and nuts.  Does
anyone know if there is a natural way to dissolve the excess fat?
Unfortunately, little is known in our area about rodents even with
vet med.   Also - do any ferret owners allow rats and ferrets together?
She's tried this a couple times under extremely close supervision so
no one gets hurt or too stressed and they just ignored each other.
She was more concerned the rat would bite the ferret - rats are nippy
aren't they!  Fortunately her ferrets are all healthy and happy.

Thankfully, when she was bitten by her first ferret years ago she
brought the ferret to me for behavior modification.   We were unaware
of the Kansas policy at that time but the info I provided and my
lengthy lecture assured her that rabies was not a consideration.

Litter -
I use Scoop Away without any problems except when Coco Puffs gets in
the clean boxes and pushes most of it out.  Its a fun game (for her!)
but messy.  Controls odor well and is easy to clean boxes.

Hugs to all fuzzies!  tle