From:
Jennifer Morlanne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 08:35:06 EST
     Hi FMLer's:

     I've been reading the FML for about a year now and find it a fantastic
     source of information. I've introduced myself once a while ago, so I
     figured it would be a good idea to re-introduce everyone and also ask a
     couple of questions (of course, :) ).

     My name is Jennifer and I have three wounderful kids. Nancy, an 18 month
     old female, who is our little chicken. Everything frightens her, she is
     EXTREMELY sensitive to sounds (especially the TV). But boy when it's quiet
     can she get in trouble!!  Maggie, a rescued 5 year old female, is our
     little old lady. She was found abandoned and no one is really sure how old
     she is but the vet estimates 5 years. She sleeps a lot and is very stiff
     when she runs around (arthritis, maybe). But boy, is she cute when she does
     decide to play. And finally, Ronny, an 18 month old male who is our big
     bully. ALL toys belong to him and ALL playing must be done with him unless,
     of course "he's not in the mood," then you can play with the ladies. He'll
     brave any danger in order to drag off ALL toys to HIS hiding place.

     I wanted to share a couple of our favorite "games" and hoped that others
     out there could share some of theirs. I have an old pair of sweatpants that
     the kids crawl in and then I drag it around and out they come tumbling from
     the legs, bouncing and "Dook-Dooking" ready to do it all over again.
     Another game that we play is with a cloth-covered baby rattle. It's pretty
     big and looks like a bunny. The kids flip over on their backs and the bunny
     "attacks" them. Then when they begin to attack, the bunny runs. This then
     goes back and forth. This drives them crazy. Before you know it you've got
     ferrets jumping straight in the air and dooking like crazy. Another fun
     game is for the ferrets to get UNDER the bedsheets while they run after
     your hand as it scurries away OVER the sheets. This is tiring for all
     involved.

     Anyway, I've rambled enough. Here's my questions:

     1) My male urinates normally and in sufficient quantity but the color of
     his urine is very strange. It's very dark, almost has a tinge of brown in
     it. Is this normal for males? My little girls' urine is a very light,
     almost clear yellow. He's been this way for a while and I'm not sure if I
     should worry and take hime to his vet. I appreciate any info on this.

     2) Does everyone's ferrets out there play together? Mine all get along very
     well (no fighting ever) but they don't play together. They tend to run
     around on their own, or play with me. The only one that tries to initiate
     play is Nancy and it is only occasionally that Ronny or Maggie will play
     with her. When Ronny was young (under 8 months) he played alot with Nancy
     but then he got very sick and almost died and although he's recovered 100%
     (he's 3lbs and strong) he's never played with her the same after that. He
     plays alot with my husband and me but not with Nancy. Is this normal or do
     ferrets like to play together alot?

     Well, thanks for listening to me and my prattling. I look forward to
     answers for my questions and also any interesting ferret games that we
     could try out with ours.

     Hugs to all!
     Jennifer and her trio of brats (my husband's words not mine)