From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 94 10:35:59 EDT
On Sun, 23 Oct 1994 11:04:54 -0600 (MDT) Linda M. Doran said:
>        Please don't feed your ferret chocolate. It's toxic, just like
>in dogs.

Time for my quarterly tirade.  I've done quite a bit of searching and can't
find any evidence whatsoever that chocolate or the theobromine in chocolate
is harmful to ferrets.   There's lots of anecdotal evidence showing ferrets
tolerate it just fine, but I can understand not wanting to judge only on
anecdotal evidence.

One vet's opinion is that ferrets seem to have no problem with it - perhaps
some of the other vets on the list who haven't commented about this have an
opinion?  (Of course, I'm only talking toxicity here - there may be concerns,
for example, about the sugar content and the dairy component, tho my personal
opinion is that a chocolate chip now and then is just fine. But you FML folks
know that already! (as do my ferrets:-).)

Bill