From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven H. Hughes)
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 1994 17:25:29 -0700
Claire,
        Our experience with young ferrets is that they all like to nip a
bit.  You must let them know that it is not socially acceptable behavior.
They will learn this fairly quickly, but you must resolve to be firm.  The
best way we have found may sound harsh, but it works well and does not hurt
the ferret.  When the ferret nips you, immediately snap him or her smartly
on the bridge of the nose with your index finger.  If you do this
consistently for a few days, they learn not to do it.  Our ferrets are all
cuddled, tickled, and played with. They all will give us a lick as an
affectionate response.  But if they nip, they know that they get a smart
snap.  So it is now very rare that they do.
        Steve (along with reformed nippers Pierre, Junior and Wus)
Laurence M. Hughes "ex-vosgienne"    Steven H. Hughes, J.D.
French Department
Glencoe High School
Hillsboro, Oregon