Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 94 16:05 CDT
Urban -
What a terrible experience for you.  I have a 65# lab/brittany mix
that walks with us and he is very aggressive if anyone even thinks
about approaching *his* ferrets.  I had a white shepherd for 14 years
who was never aggressive but very watchful.  So far we've nevre had
any problems!

Nancy -
Gizzie has chronic colitis and when he first came down with this horrible
infection we tried several antibiotics including Albon.  What finally
worked for Gizzie was the liquid Gentocin given orally at the same dose
as for cats (same weight).  For Gizzie at 3.7# this was only .17 of 1 cc.
Gizzie likes Pedialyte fruit flavor and there's always a bowl down for
everyone so hydration was not a problem (after the first episode).  I also
mix the pedialyte with the SC A/D and 1/2 cup ground Totally Ferret.  You
can use SC Kitten or Iams Kitten in place of the Totally Ferret if it isn't
available in your area.  Here's the recipe: 2 cans A/D, 1/2 cup Ground
Totally Ferret, 1 1/2 cup fruit flavor Pedialyte.  Mix well and refrigerate
left overs.  Warm to room temperature before feeding. (If you warm it in
the microwave - warm in separate dish and stir with your finger to test
temperature - it may be down right hot in some spots!).  You can cut the
mixture in half for only 1 or 2 ferrets.  I feed several so there's no
waste at our home!  I use eithr Kaopectate or Pepto at .25 of 1 cc 2 times
a day and this seems to help too.   Gizzie usually stays on the antibiotic
for 4-6 weeks.  There is also another antibiotic that has help in these
types of cases - Flagyl (sp).  You may want to check with your vet on these.
Warning: Do not inject Gentocin - it can be lethal by causing kidney problems.
Use it orally only!

Laboratories -
Unfortunately there are labs in the KC area that buy from bunchers.  Each
year the HS sends out a flyer on this type of activity.  Dogs are stolen
right out of their own yards!  Bunchers go around and pick up the type
of animal these labs use and then sell them to them.  Sometimes bunchers
answer ads for free animals through newspapers and other times they wait
till the owners leave home and go right in the yard and take the dogs.
I leave a lock and chain on my gate to protect my dogs!

Hugs to all!  tle