From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 94 09:14 PDT
> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Calif. Legal Problems
> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 08:59:18 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Could anyone please tell me how to get a ferret legalized in California?  My
> Aunt, im Nevada wishes to move to Calif. and was told, of course, that they
> were illegal and would be confiscated bla bla bla.  I know there has got
> to some way that I don't know of.  She does not want to part with her beloved
> ferret, but do to family problems, she must move here to be close to her ill
> relative. Please if anyone knows a way, I would appreciate it.  I called the
> Ca. Fish  and Game,  ha no luck, called the Fanciers club, but only got an
> answering mach. and they have not called me back.
>                            Anybody?

I'm sorry to say, but there is **no way** to get a ferret legalized in
California. Some ferrets were legal, if they were registered before
the law was passed (now many years ago), they were allowed to legally
stay. But no other ferrets were allowed to be added.

There is no way to fly the ferret in, and there are inspection
stations at the major border crossings. Choices are to smuggle the
ferret in and put it at risk, or find another home for it someplace
legal.

I had four ferrets when I lived in NJ, it was quite a shock to
discover I'd be breaking the law by bringing my pets with me when I
moved to California!

Tigger (Grace Sylvan)                Mom of Katherine Yelena, 5,
[log in to unmask]              Corey 1/31/91; we loved him so,
                                     Robin Gregory, 2.5