From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 13:14:21 -0800
To Michael Phelps:  Your local humane society putting down that ferret was
tragic. I am glad that you have resolved to working with them to get
ferrets sent to a shelter instead of euthanasia.  The OFA has an excellent
rapport with the Oregon Humane Society.  We put on presentations several
times yearly including one we completed last week.  If having the Portland
Humane Society put in a good word for ferrets would help convince you
local branch, let me know.  Carol, the head of Humane Education, would
probably generate a letter.

To Nancy: Magellan just went through 1 month of treatment for ulcers that
included Pepto-bismol twice daily.  He had no reaction to it - but hated it.
Pepto-bismol was required because it formed a compound with the other
drugs to treat his stomach problem.  (Kaopectate did not have the bismuth
solution in it.)

To Michelle Sabol Jones: Descenting was addressed in the FML as an
emotional issue (mutilation, etc.).  My reason for being opposed to it is
more basic - it's totally unnecessary!  The stink is caused by hormones,
not anal sac excretions.  There are a *few* ferrets that are good
candidates for descenting.  They are ferrets that express themselves
constantly.  If an infection or other curable cause has been ruled out,
then descenting probably is required.  Our shelter has seen 100's and
100's of ferrets.  Only 1 fit in this description.

In my private e-mail to Scott Swain I suggested this experiment:  visit
your local shelter and ask to smell a neutered male, a male not in season,
and a male in breeding condition.  Smell the male in breeding condition
last as it will permanently burn a hole in your nose :-) Just kidding! You
will realize that that stink you are talking about is hormone related and
not related to anal sacs.

And most of all, to Tourie:  I burst out crying when I read your comment
about Gunther!  It touched me soooo much! (It's going to be one of those
weepy afternoons.)  I only hope that right now Gunther is playing with my
other ferrets Jocko (who died at 5 from bladder stones), Bear (who died at
5 during surgery), and Baretta (who died at 13 months from congenital
cardiomyopathy.) My friend Leanne has made a beautiful headstone for
Gunther's grave.

Gunther left behind friends including Tillie, his 7 year old companion,
Magellan, his 5 year old male friend, 8 younger ferret friends, and Z, who
is an occasional visitor to our home and dearly loved Gunther. Thanks
again Tourie for such a touching comment!

        -Carla Almaraz
        Oregon Ferret Association